Court Reporting in PNG - 2017



Court Reporting - Feb 28, 2017
By CHARLES MOI
I was recently asked by a colleague about how to be a successful court reporter. This got me by surprise as I had only been at this for almost 4 years since May 2013. Yet I was covering court cases even in the Supreme Court regarding constitutional amendments.

I searched over the internet to get find experiences from more senior journalists who covered courts in PNG. Unfortunately I could not find any – perhaps because they might who written any or they were there but did not see them. As my first entry I decided to share about court reporting in PNG.

Things as journalist need as a court reporters in Papua New Guinea. 
The Supreme and National Court in Waigani in 2016
1.      Have the passion for writing.

I placed this as number one because in the end you have to love what you do. You have to love writing to exceed as a court reporter and also in other forms of media reporting. The love of writing will keep you going when you make mistakes, threatened or get criticized. Court reporting can also become quite monotonous especially when there not many interesting court cases. You have to be passionate at what you do. What keeps me going is knowing that I can make a difference to the nation through my writing. One can accumulate wealth on earth. But it’s your legacy that you will leave behind.

2.       Good Listening Skills.

In PNG court rooms recorders are prohibited. This makes the work of a journalist tougher. When I first walked into a court room in May 2013 I had zero experience in law issues or even ventured into a court room for that matter. I was advised by a fellow senior Court reporter then to “write everything” even if you did not understand it. Luckily I had a good pair of ears that helped me to jot down what I heard. Good listening skills are vital.

3.       Be a fast writer

Good listening skills and being quick on your notepad complement each other very well. A journalist has to have good short hand skills to write down all the arguments from parties and comments from the judge.

4.       Have a Good memory

This naturally flows on from being a fast writer. There are times when you may not be able to write as quick as you can since the judge or lawyer may be talking at lightning speed. That’s where a good memory comes handy. With a good memory you can remember key points that you missed and did not have time to write down earlier. This comes with experience.

5.       Be time for court cases. 

I learnt this the hard way. I appeared late for a court case in 2013. It turned out to be a costly mistake after the rival newspaper reported that the Court ordered a quarter of a million kina pay out to some ex-employers over its handling of a retrenchment exercise. I got 10 minute ear bashing from my general manager which I thoroughly deserved. It became a turning point in my writing career as I always appeared in Court on time from then on. Always appear in Court well before the court case begins.

6.       Be willing to learn.

I learnt the legal process and the different types of laws from just being in the court room. But I also had to learn by reading court copies from fellow reporters and over the internet. Always keep reading especially on the current laws in PNG.

7.       Build good contacts with lawyers and judges associates.

Lawyers are good contacts for news tips on upcoming court cases.  They can also assist in clarifying some legal arguments that you did not understand. Likewise judges’ associates are also great contacts. An associate is good contact when you want a court order or a copy of a judgement. An associate can also advice of important court cases coming up. Get to know them.

In my next edition I will share my knowledge on the mechanics of writing a court story. Cheers 








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

PNG's EMTV Vocal Fusion are great success

Leader warns of civil unrest on Manus Island - the home of Australia's offshore Regional Processing center